“Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.”
Seneca, the philosopher, said that in the first century AD but it still sounds like one of those pop psychology catch phrases. Except that it wasn’t that long ago that I began my life with Rich. And it was only moments ago that I began to let go of that sense of being bound to the last years of my mother’s life. Here is a picture of Bud, letting go.
In the past I haven’t put up lists of "things about me" because the very notion is contrary to my upbringing but honestly, once you start blogging? Well, it’s mostly about "me" in some fashion or another, isn’t it? I stopped blogging for a while because life has recently taken turns that aren’t so much about me but just, ah, life. Now I find that there is this big backlog of "things about me" that I could post about. Here’s the list; tell me if there’s anything of interest here and I’ll try to bring you up to date. In the meantime, I’m going to go catch up with old friends in the neighborhood.
1. I was born in Michigan and I’ve always lived here, the last 36 years in Ann Arbor.
2. On August 10th that’s going to change.
3. I grow and can over 60 quarts of tomatoes, in one form or another, each year. Abby put a little sign in my cupboard that reads: The Tomato Queen.
4. I may never harvest or can one of my own homegrown tomatoes again.
5. I have a stunning collection of antique terrestrial and celestial globes that take up a lot of space. Suddenly way too much space.
6. I’ve never used a moving company before and now I find out they charge by the pound.
7. Perhaps McCloud weighs too much…
8. The Zebra finches were fighting so much over who could be in the nest that they forgot to incubate their eggs. I gave them to the Society finches, who hatched and fostered them. Now I have baby Zebra finches who sing like Society finches. What are the implications for the "nature versus nurture" argument?
9. I’m not sure how to move an aviary.
10. I have been in private practice as a psychotherapist for 30 years. Rich asked me if I thought people would be upset when I told them. I told them and now I’m so upset I went to see a therapist (friend).
11. I wonder if my boss will throw me a retirement party?
12. I wonder if my boss will let me retire? I’ve already filed for my new license to practice.
13. I might like to become a zoo lady instead. But I hear it is harder to become a docent at the Lincoln Park Zoo than it is to start a new practice all over again.
14. I am a country mouse at heart. I think. But I’ve been to the city…
15. Sophie likes country mice. Oh, dear.
16. NOMO, with you-know-who on sax, is the hottest gig in town. Believe it.