I’ve written enough about my daughter for you all to know I have a major THING for her so I’m not going to go on and on and on- well, maybe I will. No, I won’t. But today is her birthday and here is the short list of what makes her so very special. (You all know the disclaimer. She was switched in the nursery, or more likely, she is an alien so I can say all that I do without the usual bias. I’m not convinced I have contributed to her essence in any fashion; she is who she is not by the influence of her parents. More likely the tides.)
1. She is radiant- she has a light that comes from deep within.
2. She is smarter than you, than me, than anyone we know. And she is logical.
3. This makes parenting a challenge.
4. She is amphibious. She would like to live under water.
5. She loves the creatures of the earth and the sea and the sky and respects them with all her head and heart.
6. She has, in the last week, lost her student ID which was the last remaining piece of paper that tied her to organized society. The passport, driver’s license and birth certificate- all history.
7. She is not bothered by losing things or any of the day-to-day details of life that concern the rest of us.
8. She lacks all caution. She once kayaked into a cluster of 1500# sea lions for a closer look.
9. She has excellent intuition and a built in gieger counter type device that alerts her to various signals the rest of us can’t discern. Very close to telepathy.
10. She is a scientist who believes in God.
11. She treats her body like the temporary temple that it is. She has great physical endurance.
12. She is very very funny.
13. She is a delight to be around 94 % of the time. We ALL take cover the other 6% of the time.
14. She was born, by emergency C-section, at 10:42 AM EST, without benefit of anesthesia. As a result, I had an out of body experience and watched her delivery from the top of a clock in the operating room. That may not have been my body. She was blue and floppy and her first Apgar score was 2. Her second score was 10. By then I was back in my body.
15. This ability to make a quick recovery persists to this day and has served her in good stead many times.
16. Abigail is not a name we considered prior to her emergency delivery but I love this name. She has my favorite grandmother’s name, Elizabeth, for the middle.
17. She appears to lack certain components of social conscience and conformity but she has a fierce and powerful standard of personal integrity.
18. She is very charismatic and she doesn’t care.
19. She has good friends and she is a good friend to them.
20. In an alien sort of way, she is, inside and out, very very beautiful.