I knew if I tagged Bonnie with a music meme I would end up with both pleasure and homework (in the same way I knew if I tagged Hoss I’d get cartoon music). I’m only familiar with three of Bonnie’s choices; I love the Strauss and Mozart (Bonnie knows I’m a sucker for opera) and the Schubert piece is a definite favorite. The other two I haven’t heard and apparently neither has iTunes (no surprise) so I’ll head over to Border’s on an old gift card. Jen gave me some new music, too; The Garden State soundtrack is a good one but I don’t have the David Byrne one so I’ll scrounge for that one. Thank you all very much for the fun and entertainment!
Here’s a little meme; I won’t tag anyone with it but I’d love to hear what goes on (or not) at your house so feel free to dump your thoughts on your post or in the comments below.
What five things will no one else but you do around the house?
(This comes to my mind more now because I was gone for a few days and those things became even more noticeable.)
1. Clean bad food or science projects run amok out of the refrigerator. They compound this negligence by opening the refrigerator numerous times each day and saying, "Ewwww. Yuuch! What is that?" and then closing the door again.
2. Unball socks. They clog up the floor of the bedrooms and baths like dirty white cow pies. If I don’t do it they go into the washer and come out of the dryer in the same condition. This problem is compounded by the fact that the children are sock thieves. Which aggravates the Sam’s Club shopping problem.
3. Play Post Office. All mail- real mail (very scarce), flyers, bank statements, investment reports (does anyone read those 200 page fine print reports with all the FTC mandated information about their retirement funds let alone cast a vote for Herkimer Fienstein or Jolanda Johnson as a new member of the board? Like I should know this stuff…), bills, magazines, pizza coupons. It ALL ends up in a pile on my desk and this is true if it’s a day or a week or if I died. I never asked to be appointed post mistress.
4. Answer the phone. ANSWER THE FRIGGIN’ PHONE! We have a lovely message, recorded by FG, saying, "Hi! You’ve reached the home of Fishing Guy, Egg Tooth and Turtle Dream! Leave a message so we can call you back!" FG NEVER EVER EVER answers the phone. Not when I’m in the shower, not when I’m in the garden, not when I’m in a plane rolling around in the grass at Tampa Int’l Airport. He is very certain it is not for him. It cannot possibly be his brother, his brother, his brother, one of our four children, a business associate, a golfing buddy. It is not for him. The children, when here, get up, gaze at the caller ID and if it’s not for them they sit back down. That’s it. They sit down.
5. This is my favorite. No one but me throws out bouquets gone bad. I almost always have fresh flowers in the house,usually from the garden. I can come home after a week and it can smell like some back tidewater swamp in the dining room with rotty blackened flower petals strewn across the oak dining table and a mold index of 4000 in here and no one will throw out the dead flowers. The reason I love this one most is because, way back when I was a Blogging for Books winner on the 12th of May, FG sent me the most beautiful flowers from the best florist in town- roses and freesia and tulips and hydrangea- with a card that said, "to my favorite author." When we got back from our airport adventure at 3 AM this morning and everyone but me was asleep I looked first at the 2 foot mountain of mail on my desk and then followed the wretched stench to the dining room and saw those dead flowers- only to be reminded of how much I am loved and how much I am in love.
Tell me what five things no one does at your house but you.